Sunday, June 27, 2010

To Sew or Not to Sew

Once upon a time I took a sewing class. Our motto was "The darkest hour is just before the dawn." Many mistakes were made and at times I was sure I was going to fail the class. Thankfully the dawn would always come and everyone in our little group was successful in creating some decent projects.

Fast forward five years and there's me standing in Hobby Lobby with the sudden urge to be domestic and make my own clothes. I poured through the pattern books and found a cute and simple skirt design I thought I could do. I picked out the cutest fabric and was very proud of myself for figuring out how much I would need from the back of the pattern.

My mom was out of town that weekend, but I figured that with my sewing class skills I'd be fine... Thanks to half-day friday at work I was able to dedicate most of the weekend to this skirt. The thing with sewing is that a lot of your time is spent cutting and pinning. It took forever just trying to figure out which pieces I would need.

At one point I was having trouble with one pattern piece. I must have looked frustrated because one of my brother's 17 year old friends came over to ask what was wrong. After explaining my dilemma he told me something that helped the rest of the project, "Don't doubt the pattern Callie."  After that I just went for it. When I didn't understand something I just figured that the pattern must be correct so I'd keep going and everything turned out great!

Here's what I started with


It even has pleats! You guys should really be impressed now.

It also included an elastic waist and a belt.



The finished product! Topped off with an awesome necklace and my sweet red and black high heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment